Marching Band Prepares for Muskie Invitational and IHSMA Competition

Lauren Koch

Marching band and color guard

Layla Lovan, Reporter

2022 City High Marching Band kicked off the season playing for Kinnick and their first home game, and have been practicing every school morning for October 8th the State Marching Band Competition going head to head with schools across Iowa for Muskie Marching Invitational and the Iowa High School Music Association system (IHSMA).

“The drill that the students are marching through is one of the toughest that City High Marching Band has ever done. I am eager for everyone to see what we are capable of,¨ Mike Kowbel, director of the band, said.

The CHS Marching Band show “Suite Español” consists of 3 movements; I. My Spanish Heart, A night in Tunisia & Channel One Suite, II. Channel One Suite & My Spanish Heart, III. Malaguena by Steve Shanely. Requiring memorization of 44 drill sets.

Liv Leman’25 knows the difficulties and challenges of competing in the marching band.

“Marching band is a very physically demanding task and requires a lot of discipline, but is worth the work to see a beautiful show come together,” Liv Leman ’25 said.

With little to no time to spare, the marching band spends an average of 48 minutes on the turf field every morning during school to rehearse and perfect their performance. The band continues to practice every morning to get their show down by competition day.

“It is my first year competing, we have some tough competition. Hopefully we do well,” Leman said.

The marching band has a current rating of Division 1. They will be competing in front of judges and will be given an evaluation. Hosted by IHSMA and will be located at Kingston Stadium in Cedar Rapids. As well as 1st place in the rating for the Muskie Marching Invitational.

“We still have things to clean up,” Kowbel said.