20 Band Students Accepted to University Honor Bands

Wisdom Konu

Students perform in the Winter band concert

Esther Puderbaugh, A&E and Opinion Editor

With the new year comes new opportunities for City’s Band students. In February, 20 students will be attending honor band festivals at the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa. 

This year was the first time Ilan Tallman ‘24 auditioned for honor bands. 

“This year was the first year that I tried out for any honor bands,” Tallman said. “Last year I decided that I wanted to focus more on practicing more and dedicating myself to bassoon. So this year was a year where I was just kind of testing to see what I could get into where I was at.”

Tallman made the Iowa All-State band earlier this year, yet wasn’t able to go due to illness, and has since made the University of Iowa and UNI honor bands. 

“I missed All-State this year. I made it in but I wasn’t able to go because I got sick like the day before,” Tallman said. “So getting to go to these is kind of a chance for me to make up for it.”

Flute player Janie Owens ‘25 is looking forward to the unique opportunity the university honor bands present. 

“I auditioned for university honor bands because it gives me a unique opportunity to do more bands outside of just school ones and gives me an opportunity to play with people throughout the entire state,” Owens said. 

Owens recently submitted her chair placement audition for both flute and piccolo to the judges at UNI. While Owens is excited to get her audition results back she is reminding herself of something her band director, Mr. Kowbel told her. 

“A five minute audition on one day of your life does not define you as a musician,” Owens said. 

Owens is looking forward to her time at UNI next month. 

“I’m excited to spend a lot of time with my friends and I think it’ll be good to be in a different environment. I think I’ll learn a lot.”