City High Boys Soccer 2023 Season Preview

Anna Gayley

The City High men’s soccer team before a regular season match against Prairie.

Josh Borger Germann, Reporter

The 2023 City High soccer regular season will officially kick off against S.E. Polk on Saturday, April 1 at the CR Prairie tournament. City High will once again begin their quest to reach state for the first time since 2017 after losing 1-0 away against Johnston in substate finals last year. 

Before the regular season though, City High will scrimmage West Liberty at 4:15 PM on March 24, and then Regina on March 25th at noon. Some games to watch this season include against West High on Friday, April 14th at The U of I Complex and away against Liberty on Friday, April 21st at Liberty. 

“The games that stick out to me are Kennedy and Linn-Mar, we haven’t played Kennedy since I’ve been on the team, but I know a few of their players. They have a really good front 3 and a strong midfield that will make them hard to play against,” Alima Mmumga ‘23 said.               

Mmumga is a team captain and leader who is eager to get back to playing high school soccer he played a large role for the team last season. As for Linn-Mar, last year the Little Hawks lost to them away in the regular season 3-1 but got their revenge later beating them in the substate semi-finals.     

“I think we have a good balance of older experienced players, and players looking to step up and make a name for themselves for us to make a good run this season,” Jack Dancer ‘25 said.            

The team will have a few fresh faces this season with 16 players returning this season from the state cup roster last year, leaving at least a few spots on the roster up for the taking. Out of the 16 players on the roster, 7 are seniors, 2 are juniors and 7 are sophomores.