Classes Should Involve More Collaboration

Isabella Young, Opinion Co-Editor

Everyone has gone through classes they have struggled with. It’s a part of life. Unfortunately, most people are left to struggle alone, unable or unwilling to ask for help. This problem is easily overlooked, and easily solved with a simple solution–collaboration.

Collaboration is underutilized in our classrooms, and COVID-19 exacerbated this lack of collaboration by making virtually all assignments individual. Collaboration provides numerous benefits to students, including better problem-solving skills, communication, and critical thinking. Students who work collaboratively learn to effectively communicate with others, a skill they will need for the real world.

Lance Grulke-Mangrich ‘25 believes that being able to collaborate with their peers in the classroom is necessary for a good learning environment.

“It fosters interest, teaches students how to incorporate other’s ideas into their thinking, and helps them keep motivation when stuck,” Grulke-Mangrich said.

By collaborating to achieve a common goal, students will feel a sense of accomplishment and pride in their work, which improves motivation and engagement in the learning process. This helps students build confidence in their abilities, and develop positive relationships with classmates.
With proper planning and direction, teachers can create a welcoming and collaborative environment that focuses on creativity, teamwork, and critical thinking.

In a sink-or-swim environment, group work can keep everyone afloat, so all students can enjoy and pass their classes. Collaboration can help students feel validated and appreciated in their work as everyone strives for a common goal. By working together, students can make meaningful differences in their lives, creating a better future for all.