The Start To A Young Beginning

Gabriel Egeland

Owen Hicks ’25 Pitches the ball vs Cedar Falls

City High pitcher Nick Meredith has helped the sophomore team get off to a 4-0 start. After pitching a solid 3 innings and having multiple strikeouts. With the sophomore team starting off the season strong while starting with a 4-0 record against Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids winning the first two with a score of 5-3 and 9-1 against Cedar Falls and won with the scores of 7-2 and 13-3.

“We had a big lead so I wasn’t trying to be fancy, just throw strikes and let the defense work in closer games. I will get to work on the off speeds but with a lead it’s all fastballs,” Nick Meredith ’25 said. 

Starting off the season, the City sophomore baseball team is going to be different. With pitchers Owen Hicks, Drake Obermueller, Nick Meredith, Zach Meredith and Drew Nye they help to lead and improve this team. The sophomore team has a lot of experience as they’ve played together since elementary school. To achieve their goal of going undefeated they will have to beat Liberty.

“Last year we split with them but we are sweeping them this year,” Tyler Rindels ‘25 said.

To achieve their goal of going undefeated they will have to beat Liberty. They started off the season with double headers against Cedar Falls and Cedar Rapids Prairie. Pitchers Drake Obermueller ‘25 and Adam Bowman ‘26 started off the games against Cedar Falls when playing at home. Even though sophomores Dom Salibi and Jaxon Schroeder have proved they could be on varsity, the sophomore team will have to rely on the young core in which they have. With Coach Vitense coaching, this team is expected to meet expectations especially with this year’s roster.