Little Hawks Volleyball Defeat Dubuque Hempstead in Four Sets

Dominic Roe
Jordyn Kucera ’24 serves the ball to Dubuque Hempstead in their home opener.

Prior to Tuesday night’s volleyball home opener, the Little Hawks had taken a close loss to Cedar Rapids Kennedy 3-2. This game against Dubuque Hempstead was a great opportunity for the team to get back to .500 heading into September.

Claire Ernst ‘24 scored the final point of the first set for the Little Hawks. That set ended with a score of 25-15. The team didn’t see the same result in the second set where they lost 18-25. The third set was very tight throughout and saw multiple lead changes, but the team managed to pull out the win 25-23. Heading into the fourth set the team had a chance to finish off the game. It was yet another very tight set that had fans on their feet. In the end, Emmy McComas ‘25 scored the final point of the set winning it 25-22, as well as winning the game 3-1.

“It was a really important win because everyone really came together to win it for us. Almost everyone on the team got an individual block, we really stood out defensively, and we utilized the middle like we wanted to,” Halle Larew ‘26 said. 

Over their first two games of the season Sidney Slay ‘24 leads the team in assists with 69 assists, Claire Ernst ‘24 leads the team in kills with 63 kills, Hattie Galloway ‘27 leads the team in blocks and serve aces with 38 blocks and 11 serve aces, and Emmy McComas ‘25 leads the team in digs with 48 digs.

With this win, the team improves to 1-1 on the season with their next games coming in a tournament with Bettendorf, Lewis Central, and Ankeny Centennial.