Dominic Roe
Dominic Roe
Reporter

Mind Over Matter

Seniors Drew Larson and Jacob Kehres ‘24 were injured at the beginning of the City High football team’s home opener, and first game against Joliet Catholic. During the first game of the season, linebacker Jacob Kehres was injured to the knee at kickoff during the first quarter. The injury occured as Kehres was running down the field.

“I was blindsided because I couldn’t see my opponent from my left side. This caused me to fall and land awkwardly on my knee, but because of the adrenaline I couldn’t feel the extent of the pain,” said Kehres. The result of Kehres’ injury was a torn ACL that will call for surgery and extensive recovery. Trainers had to help Kehres off the field where he was assisted by City High’s personal trainer, Jennifer McHenry. During the second quarter, Kehres attempted to play again through the pain but because of the extent of his injuries, the trainers would not allow Kehres back into the game. 

During the second game of the season, quarterback and safety Drew Larson suffered an injury to the hand in the second quarter. As the ball was handed off, Larson, who was playing safety, went in for a tackle which resulted in his thumb bending backwards. 

“I originally thought I jammed it, but I got x-rays the next morning and it was broken,” said Larson. Due to his injury, Larson was forced to quit playing quarterback and will now focus on playing safety for the remainder of the season. Larson has also worked through an injury to the hip since the beginning of training months. 

“I am disappointed that I won’t ever play quarterback, but I am definitely optimistic about returning to help my team by playing defense and hopefully another offensive position,” said Larson. His injury was resolved on September 6, 2023 with the surgery resulting in a soft cast for a week and a hard cast for the remainder of the season. 

Larson and Kehres will continue to work hard to get back onto the field and keep active roles on the team. 

“I’m going to miss playing, but I need to stay positive and surround myself with my teammates,” said Kehres. 

Unfortunately Kehres’ injury will result in a more extensive recovery than Larson’s. 

“I will be out for the rest of the season, but with that I can be a leader by helping my teammates. Linebacker Blaine Heick will be replacing my position, so I’ll assist him in teaching him more about the position. I want to work to help my team so we can be as successful as possible with the circumstances we’ve got,” said Kehres. 

On the other hand, Larson’s injury will allow him to be back on the field in a few weeks. 

“I got pins in my hand yesterday, and I have a soft cast now. Next week I get a hard cast and hopefully I should be able to be back on the field without throwing,” said Larson. 

Safety will be Larson’s primary position while he plays with a hard cast for the remainder of the season. 

“During recovery, I’ll need to work on getting my grip strength with physical therapy as well as studying film. I will also work to help quarterback Bobby Bacon in his position now that he is replacing me,” Larson said. “But I am hopeful that I will be back on the field and able to finish out my senior season with my team.”