Erling Haaland Deserves the 2023 Ballon d’Or

The most prestigious individual football award, the Ballon d’Or, is now less than a month away from being awarded on October 16th. There’s no doubt that one month from now either Lionel Messi or Erling Haaland will have added the 2023 Ballon d’Or to their trophy collection. 

It’s clear that Erling Haaland deserves this award more than Messi. Haaland broke multiple Premier League and Champions League records last season recording 52 goals in 53 appearances for his club team Manchester City. Among these records are the most goals in a single Premier League season with 36 goals. The Premier League is by far the most competitive league in the world much more than Lionel Messi’s leagues the Ligue 1 and MLS which are considered by many as “farmer leagues.” Haaland also became the first player in 9 years to score 5 goals in a single Champions League game. 

Not only are Haaland’s individual awards impressive, but so are his team’s accomplishments. He won the European treble with Manchester City which has only been done by 7 other teams in European footballing history. Led by Erling Haaland, Manchester City conquered the Premier League, FA Cup, and the Champions League all in one season. Meanwhile, Lionel Messi’s PSG barely won the French League 1 and were knocked out of the Champions League in just the round of 16. 

Some may argue that Messi deserves the award for winning the 2022 FIFA World Cup. This does not factor in the rest of his year’s performances which were below mild when compared to Haaland’s overall season. Because of Haaland’s individual records and club team’s success, it is clear why Haaland deserves the 2023 Ballon d’Or.