Fitness Is Expanding to Students With Performance P.E.

Performance P.E. keeps students coming in every year, encouraging exercise in and out of school
Floris Roorda
Performance Physical Education has over 180 students taking the course

Fitness is something that is very important to a student’s overall health and well-being. Students in the class have expressed their opinions on Performance P.E. as a class and working out in general.

“Some of my friends were talking about doing Performance P.E. and I thought it would be a good way to lose some weight and get in shape,” Alejandro Olaguez-Duarte ‘26 said.

He described the experience as being humbling since most people were lifting heavier weights than him. As a beginner, it was hard at first but got easier as the class went on.

“I thought the people in the class would make fun of me but they actually tried to help me. I ended up becoming someone’s gym partner, who is now one of my best friends,” Olaguez-Duarte said.

“I think it is important to stay in shape, and ever since I started working out I felt much better about myself,” Sam Andrews ‘26 said.

Exercising for people can create a sense of elation and accomplishment. 

“I started going to the gym to get in shape for soccer, and I have seen results and improvements in my physical abilities since then,” James Caster ‘26 said.

In general, working out has benefits for everyone, but for athletes especially since it helps them stay in shape for their sport. People who don’t do sports also benefit from working out. Improvements to cardiovascular health are an effect of exercising that can make you live longer as well as many other benefits. 

There are many upsides to doing Performance P.E. or going to the gym and many people have had positive experiences with it. If you are worried about the work you have to put in and the difficulty, all the benefits and stats show exercise is worth it. For example, according to the CDC, “Being physically active can improve your brain health, help manage weight, reduce the risk of disease, strengthen the bones and muscles, and improve your ability to do everyday activities.” 

There has been an increase in people who have been working out at City High. Coach Dan Sabers has 32 total students and Coach Cory Connell has around 150 in Performance P.E. alone.