Wisdom Konu
Wisdom Konu
Executive Editor and Culture Co-Editor

LH Recipe: Nasi Goreng

Nasi Goreng: one of the most popular foods in the world from Indonesia

Nasi Goreng is a dish from Indonesia that is made up of fried rice, a meat of your choice like pork, and is served on sticks and served with satay sauce. 

The origins of Nasi Goreng start in Indonesia, where it was first made just by throwing leftover food together. They believed it was sinful to waste food, meaning Nasi Goreng was pretty much made by accident at first. Nasi Goreng literally just means fried rice as that’s what it is for the most part. 

1. Marinate the meat with spices of your choice, the meat can be chicken or pork, etc. with, then you fry rice in a pan with omelets, dices of ham, and vegetables. 
  2. Make satay sauce from peanuts and soy sauce, along with coriander and some optional things like chili flakes and coconut milk. 
  3. Heat the satay sauce to medium heat and add in lime juice and cook for 3-4 minutes.
  4. Grill the meat and put it all together. 

It is now one of Indonesia’s national dishes, while also being consumed in a variety of countries. Fried rice is thought to have originated in China and the dish can be found in many shapes and forms in other cultures as well. It is a very common food in Indonesia which is consumed by everyone, and most foreigners tend to like it very much. People in the U.S don’t know much about it however, and that could be something that could change if Indonesian families move to the U.S and open more restaurants. Nasi Goreng is a dish that hopefully will be appreciated more in the U.S and is a piece of Indonesian culture.