Halle Larew
Halle Larew
Reporter

Q&A With the 23-24 Boys Basketball Captains

AJ Wright ’24, Amir Newell ’24, and Bond Shymansky ’24 talk about the upcoming season and how they feel about being appointed this year’s captains
The+22-23+team+huddles+during+a+timeout+
Lili Moessner
The 22-23 team huddles during a timeout

How do you feel about being selected as this year’s captains?

Shymansky: “We take this very seriously. We’re leaders, and we’re seniors this year. We’re just looking forward to the season starting and looking forward to a good season.” 

Wright: “I feel honored. I’m happy that my team was able to trust me to be a captain. I think we have a good season ahead of us.”

Newell: “I feel honored like they said so. I’m just happy that we can have a good season.”

What are some of your goals for the upcoming season?

Shymansky: “Our main goal, obviously, is to get to Wells Fargo Arena. You know, to make it to state, that’s our dream. That’s always been our dream. And that’s going to be our goal throughout the whole season.”

Wright: “Yeah, I think our goal is to obviously win state but even then, just have fun with our last season in high school.”

Newell: “Just have fun this year. You know, it’s my last year so I just hope that everybody does have fun.”

What are you looking forward to this season?

Shymansky: “I’m just looking forward to playing less selfish basketball. You know, with us three captains, we’re gonna make sure everybody’s locked in before every game. And coming to the game prepared for anybody who comes at us”

Wright: “ I’m ready to play unselfish basketball as well. And going on the bus rides and eating team dinners, and the subway.”

Newell: “ My main goal is to win this year. I know last year, we didn’t have the best season. So I hope now we do better than we did last year.”

What does being a captain mean to you?

Shymansky: “I think we’ve already answered it for ourselves. It’s just being a leader, being a team leader. Making sure everybody’s on top of their stuff. Just making sure everybody’s working hard. Our goal is just to win, we’re gonna keep saying that. We’re gonna make it happen hopefully”

Wright: “Yeah, I think overall, just holding everybody accountable and making sure everybody’s giving 100% effort so that we can go into the game with the best opportunity to win.”

Newell: “Yeah, I agree with what they said, being a leader, being accountable and pushing everybody to be better.”

Are there any players who stand out during practice so far and you think will be essential to the success of the team?

Shymansky: “I think especially a lot of the seniors, we’re looking at this obviously as our last season at City, so we’re taking this very seriously. But there’s a couple of new players like Kingston, who’s looking really good. We have some new players, big players, and hopefully they can keep the legacy going. Hopefully they can start a winning legacy.”

Wright: “Shout out my boy, Kris. He’s been hooping. I think Kris, Jameer and the rest of us seniors. We all gonna come out to hoop this year.”

What do you love the most about playing for city, and is there anything you’ll miss?

Shymansky: “What I love the most is honestly we’ve been playing together since we were in elementary school. So you know, it’s just being family and we’ve always been together. So I’m gonna miss that a lot. Definitely gonna miss Swayzer. You know? He’s my son.”

Wright: “ Yeah, I agree. I’m gonna miss all the coaches and all of my teammates. But the thing I like about City High basketball the most is I think that this year we built more of like a family instead of just a team.”

Newell: “Yea I’m just gonna miss the bond I have with the players and the coaches and all the dedication I put toward it, and I’m gonna just hope that it’s worth it.”