Achieve Challenge Game Brings Success for the Women’s Basketball Team

Little Hawks Women’s Basketball kicked off their season with a scrimmage versus No. 2 (4A) Clear Creek Amana, followed by two away games versus major opponents
Amelie Donovan
Avy Lindsey ‘25 stands strong on the court during a game against Solon High

Ending 6-16 last season, all eyes have been on the women’s basketball team coming into the 2023-24 season. In just four quarters of their first scrimmage of the season, they proved their talent and labeled themselves as an exciting team after winning 75-68 against a big opponent. 

As the season takes off, many returners have taken over the court. August Palmer ‘25, Tess Driscoll ‘26, Emmy McComas ‘25, and Avy Lindsay ‘25 are the big names on this year’s varsity squad. With such a young group of girls, these leaders have each taken moments to shine. Joining the team this year, freshmen Hattie Galloway and Kaitlin Loria ‘27 are stepping into big roles with ease. 

“I think I will have to step into a bigger leadership role this year, but I also see everyone contributing, too,” Driscoll said, after discussing what her goals for this season were.

Palmer and Driscoll led the team in the CCA scrimage with big threes and points to bring us up to a lead in the 3rd quarter that the Clear Creek Amana Clippers could not come back from. Palmer ended with 30 points, Driscoll followed close behind with 24, and McComas ended with 12. Even with the big returners putting up the points to bring an exciting win, members from the bench came in at key moments and made necessary adjustments.

The “Achieve Challenge Game” was created for Unbreakable Female Athlete, a brand started by a University of Iowa rower. This scrimmage raised funds for UFA, and both the Little Hawks and the Clippers have their own items on the website. 

The Little Hawks travelled to Central DeWitt for their season opener on Nov 21, 2023 which was soon followed by a game versus Solon, that both ended in close losses. As the season progresses, Head Coach Lynsey Barnard looks to keep the energy and mindset up, with hopes that the record will follow. 

“This team’s main goal is to just do what we are capable of doing. And I think there is a mindset aspect of that, and it’s just doing what you’re capable of,” Barnard said about her goals and aspirations for the young team.