Kaitlyn Brown
Kaitlyn Brown
Sports Co-Editor

Dance Team Prepares for State

The City High Dance team will compete at the Iowa State Dance Championships on December first
Lily Rantanen
McKenzie Knebel ’24 performs a solo at the Wild West Solo Showdown at West High

The City High Dance Team is starting the trimester strong with a trip to the premier state dance competition. On December first, they will travel to Des Moines to compete in the Iowa State Dance Team High School Championships. This is the largest competition in the state, with over 250 teams participating.

“We’re making sure that everything is super clean and ready to go to state,” Ava Brewer ‘24 said.

For the Dance Team members, State is usually the highlight of their season. 

“State is the one that you can count on each year that you know that you’re going to go to,” Maddee Kramer ‘24 said. “Everything that we’ve worked so hard for all season is finally showcased.”

The dance team practices twice a week at Tate High School. Right now, they’re focused on making their two routines–a fast, exciting pom-pom number and a slower lyrical dance–as perfect as possible.

“This year, our theme is Girls,” Lily Bell-Waters ‘25 said. “Our Lyrical is about how you always have your friend by your side, and the dance team has always been there for me.”

For the dancers, community is the most important part of the entire experience.

“I think [the best part] is the friends you make,” Kramer said. “I’ve met some of my best friends through this team, and I get to dance with them, which is something I love.”

“The best part is just being there for each other,” Bell-Waters said. “Honestly, If I didn’t have the girls who are on the team right now, I don’t think I would like State as much.”