Nate Malone, Willow Schultz, Lucas Iverson, and Naomi Downing-Sherer are 2023’s Music Freshmen to Watch
Esther Puderbaugh

Music Freshmen to Watch

Nate Malone
Nate Malone

Freshman Nate Malone ‘27 has been singing as long as he can remember. 

“I’ve been singing for as long as I can remember,” Malone said. “The first memory I have was singing.”

Since coming to City this fall, Malone has taken part in Little Hawk Singers and was selected for Opus Honor Choir. Malone is also a member of City’s Varsity show choir, 4th Avenue Jazz Company. 

“[My biggest accomplishment musically is] probably this Opus Honor Choir that I’m in. It’s super cool,” Malone said. “It’s that or it’s 4th Ave. I mean [4th Ave] is a totally new experience for me and it’s awesome.”

According to Malone, joining 4th Ave wasn’t what he expected.

[It’s] super surprising. I was in the show choir down at South East and they tell you [that] once you get up to 4th Ave everybody is like a family to you. They say that about every group that you’re in, but it really is [like that with 4th Ave],” Malone commented. “The relationship between freshman and seniors [has] no real barrier. You’re just all there and you’re all doing something that you really really really like doing.”

Malone hopes that his involvement with music will extend past his high school years.

“I would love for my focus in college to be towards music,” Malone said. “[Going to a school like] Luther (College), or one of those types of schools [would be awesome]. If I could do something with music, that would be amazing. That would be where I’m shooting for.”

Malone’s favorite part of music is performing it, and it is something he hopes to pursue in college.

“The performance aspect of singing has always been my favorite part about [music],” Malone said. “I love performing – it’s a super cool feeling. Just showing people what you’ve done and what you work so hard to do [is so cool]. I love when you get a new set of music, and instantly you find a rhythm with the people that you’re singing with. It’s an awesome feeling.”

Until graduation, Malone hopes that the rest of his high school years will be full of music.

“It’s so crazy to think [ahead] three years. I just [hope to be] more involved in choir, and involved in music or the arts that the school offers here.”

Willow Schultz
Willow Schultz

Willow Schultz ‘27 has played piano, percussion, flute, guitar, and violin. Currently, Schultz plays percussion in band and plays piano in City’s premier jazz band, Jazz Ensemble. 

“This year I played piano and I got into the top jazz band for that so that was exciting,” Schultz said. “I’m hoping to do more with [piano] too. I’ve really found interest in it. I feel like I could have potential in that.”

Being in high level ensembles with upperclassmen can be a scary thing. But Schultz has found it to be a more friendly environment than she anticipated.

“[I] was really nervous because I knew I was going to be the only freshman [in Jazz Ensemble],” Schultz said. “But it’s actually been really good and all of the people are really nice and fun to be around.”

Schultz has many goals for her career at City.

“My goal this year probably is to do SEIBA Jazz,” Schultz said. “I’d like to hopefully be consistent and get into the top jazz band each year.”

Looking ahead, Schultz has high hopes for her improvement. 

“I really like jazz and I really like playing piano. Hopefully [I get] better and [have] more opportunities,” Schultz said.

Lucas Iverson
Lucas Iverson

After playing the violin for over a decade and taking up flute along the way, Lucas Iverson ‘27 is making waves in City’s musical ensembles.

“During COVID I really started to [do] a little more fun music on the violin and started the flute,” Iverson said. “I really started to enjoy the violin. I think it was [a] very pivotal moment when I finally was thankful that my mom made me start the violin. And, [I was] really excited to play and work hard at it.”

Iverson, concertmaster of Philharmonic Orchestra, a member of Concert Band, and a first year All-Stater, has enjoyed the journey that challenging himself through music has led him on. 

“One of my main goals was going to All-State for violin and I really did not care that much about the outcome,” Iverson said. “I really cared about the journey and getting there and all the stuff that I would be taught with challenging music.”

At first, being in Philharmonic Orchestra with upperclassmen was an adjustment for Iverson because he didn’t know the other students and director very well. However, things got easier as he got to know the other members of the orchestra better.

“The first month of orchestra was kind of difficult,” Iverson said. “But then I started getting to know my section better and started to be more familiar with people in orchestra.”

Iverson has big goals for the future.

“I would love to be a four year All-Stater. I want to keep working on that every year,” Iverson said. “I would also love to do SEIBA on the flute at some point. I really just want to be doing the best that I can. I want to be in leadership [roles in] my section.”

Naomi Downing-Sherer
Naomi Downing-Sherer

Growing up with parents who always required her to be learning at least one instrument, it’s no surprise that Wind Ensemble member Naomi Downing-Sherer will be a force to be reckoned with with her trumpet. 

“My mom was always really into band and her whole family played an instrument. All my uncles played trumpet as well so I was like maybe I should try out trumpet. I started playing around on it a little bit [and] I was like, this was pretty fun,” Downing-Sherer said.

Downing-Sherer has enjoyed her time at City since coming in the fall. 

“[Music is] definitely like a whole nother level compared to what it was like at South East and just like the people care more about band here at City High than they did at South East I think which is exciting,” said Downing-Sherer.

Downing-Sherer’s favorite band memory so far was marching with the City High Marching Band in the University of Iowa Homecoming Parade. 

“The homecoming parade that we did downtown was really, really fun,” Downing-Sherer said. “The weather was super nice and the bus ride was super fun. And then getting to march surrounded by my friends was really fun. And just seeing people that I knew well, while I was walking in the parade was fun, too.”

Making All-State as a freshman is a big deal for Downing-Sherer. 

“I wasn’t really expecting to [make it in] as a freshman because everyone was telling me like freshmen don’t usually get in so I wasn’t expecting to,” Downing-Sherer said. “I was pretty surprised but I was really happy that I got in.”

Downing-Sherer’s motivation and discipline have gotten her far this year and she hopes that they will continue to take her far throughout her high school career. 

“I just want to continue to improve. By the end of my high school career, I just want to keep improving and getting better with playing trumpet,” Downing-Sherer said. “I don’t ever want to find myself staying the same or good. I always want to be striving to get better.”