LH Recipe: Chai Tea Sugar Cookies

Esther Puderbaugh
Lili Moessner, Grace Kirschling, Catalina Armstrong, and Diego Loria-Eivins ‘24 smile with chai tea sugar cookies

Recipe adapted from Taylor Swift’s chai tea sugar cookie recipe.

As the resident baker of the journalism room, I have been making this version of Taylor Swift’s famous chai tea cookies for my fellow Little Hawk Journalists for just over a year now. These have always been a favorite of our staff because of their soft texture and unexpected chai spice. These cookies make the perfect winter treat and we hope that you’ll try this recipe out as a gift from us to you this holiday season!

INGREDIENTS

½ c unsalted butter, softened

½ c melted butter, cooled to room temperature

½ c granulated sugar

½ powdered sugar

1 egg

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 c flour

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

1 chai tea bag

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare cookie sheet(s) with parchment paper.
  2. Beat softened butter in a bowl with either a stand mixer or with a hand mixer. Add the cooled butter.
  3. Add the sugar, powdered sugar, egg, and vanilla extract to the bowl and combine.
  4. Next, stir in the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, and salt.
  5. After the basic sugar cookie dough is formed, stir in the contents of the chair tea bag by cutting open the top of the bag and pouring them into the bowl. 
  6. The dough will be very soft. Line the baking sheet with balls of cookie dough and press lightly. 
  7. In a time crunch, baking the dough without chilling works just fine. Bake room temperature dough for 11-14 minutes. If you have time to chill the dough, chill it for about an hour. Baking time for the chilled dough will be between 14-17 minutes. Keep in mind that cook times may vary depending on the oven used, so it’s wise to check the cookies along the way as they bake to make sure they don’t overbake. 
  8. Take the cookies out of the oven when they are golden brown around the edges and enjoy with a mug of hot cocoa or a warm cup of chai tea!