Dominic Roe
Dominic Roe
Reporter

BREAKING NEWS: City Girls Track and Field Hires Co-Head Coaches for Upcoming Season

Estie Dillard

On December 5, 2023 City High Athletic Director Philip Lala announced the open Head Coach job for the City High Girls Track and Field program was filled after athletes and parents were informed on October 30, 2023 that prior Head Coach Jeremy Mims had resigned from the program. After Mims’ resignation, the search for a new head coach was effective immediately. Interviews were conducted by the ICCSD School Board and parent representatives, where the joint decision was made to welcome not only one but two coaches to the program. Luckily for the team, City High Girls Track and Field athletes found not one but two seasoned Head Coaches in Bryan Parker and Katie Rygh.

Bryan Parker is a graduate of California State University and has experience as an Assistant Coach of the City High Girls Track and Field and City High Football team in prior years. 

“I look forward to embarking on this journey with Coach Rygh as we aim to build a program that our student-athletes can thrive in, alumni can be proud of, and is worthy of representing the Little Hawk community,” said Parker. 

Katie Rygh, a graduate of University of Iowa and a UI student-athlete alumna graduated in 2021 from the U of I rowing program. Iowa City has continued to be her home as she took a job at South East Junior High as a math teacher and track coach for the South East Girls Track and Field program. Rygh has taken this opportunity to continue to spread her impact and success to the City community. 

“I am excited to become part of the rich tradition of athletic excellence at City High, especially the previous successes of the Girls Track and Field program… I look forward to our work as we shape not just confident athletes but resilient individuals prepared for success on the track, in the classroom, and in our community,” said Rygh.