Sam Kueter
Sam Kueter
Reporter

BREAKING NEWS: City Students to Join Iowans For Palestine Protest

Estie Dillard

On Friday, January 26th, City High students will be walking out, joining Iowans For Palestine in a protest in support of the Palestinian people.

“We hope for City High students to join us in protesting and being more vocal about the genocide in Palestine,” said walkout organizer Miamen Elawad ‘25.

The walkout will take place starting at 3 p.m. on Friday. City will be among other protestors from Iowans For Palestine, a University of Iowa organization. The organization hosts protests every Friday in solidarity with the Palestinian people. The protest will begin at 3:30 at the Pentacrest.

On Thursday, January 18th, the Iowa House of Representatives passed a resolution supporting Israel and condemning Hamas’ Oct. 7 attack on the country, affirming the chamber’s “support and unwavering commitment to the welfare, security and survival of the state of Israel.”

Penelope Wilmoth ‘24, another organizer of this Friday’s walkout, hopes to get the attention of legislators and demonstrate how many Iowans do not agree with the resolution that has been recently passed.

“I think a lot of people believe that this war doesn’t affect us or that we have nothing to do with it. But really, this has a lot to do with what our own government is doing. I think a lot of people speak out on Instagram, which is great for creating conversation, but I think we really need to be doing more action to put pressure on our government,” Wilmoth said.