Helena Echa
Helena Echa
Reporter

Keys to the Game: City vs West Doubleheader

Josh Borger Germann

As we start to enter the back end of the basketball season, both City and West look to get another win in their win column in an important doubleheader rivalry matchup. The last time the Little Hawks and the Trojans met saw both games go all the way down to the wire, but the games ended up being a one sided contest as West High was able to win in both the girls’ and boys’ games. Now, a month later, they will meet again. Here are the keys for City High to triumph over their crosstown rivals.

Keys for the girls’ win

1. City needs to share the wealth on offense

Statistically, the Little Hawks are at their best when they are able to move the ball. City players Augie Palmer ‘25 and Tessa Driscoll ‘26 are currently leading the MVC in assists this year, with 48 for Palmer and 41 for Driscoll. That being said, it’s imperative that those two players are able to create success for others as well as themselves if they want to find overall success on the offensive side of the floor.  

2. City needs to contain West High’s Grace Fincham ‘26      

During their last matchup, a key part of West High’s win was sophomore guard Grace Fincham’s 33-point performance. Fincham scored 52% of West High’s total points while still finding her teammates on 6 of West High’s 11 total assists. If City can find a way to reduce her production and make the Trojans have to look for others to contribute more on the score column, this could be a game-changing factor on defense.            

Keys for the boys’ win

1. City needs to shoot the ball efficiently 

With City High being the smaller team, points in the paint may be harder to come by so City may have to look outside for the bulk of their buckets. Offensively, the Little Hawks are led by the backcourt duo AJ Wright ‘24 and Trey Wright ‘25. Both players are averaging over 30% behind the arc. Scoring the three ball will be key in the Little Hawks’ success. 

2. City needs to outwork West on the boards

City High is the undersized team in this game by a large margin. City will need to emphasize boxing out and crashing the boards if they want to give themselves a better chance of coming out with a W. Players like Parker Sutherland ‘25 and Kris Freeman ‘24 will be key in this effort as they lead the team in rebounds.

Game info: 

Tipoff is at 6:00 at City High. Girls’ game first with the boys to follow after.