Grace Kirschling
Grace Kirschling
Broadcast Editor and Social Media Co-Editor

Model UN Prepares For Upcoming Spring Conference

City High’s Model United Nations begin to meet to prepare for this spring season
Wisdom Konu
Ms. Eastman presents to students at a Model UN meeting

There are many ways to get involved at City High, one being a club with the goal of broadening students’ knowledge of the world and its global issues: Model United Nations. As students head to Room 2305, they learn more about the United Nations, global issues, and soon how to begin working on the problems lying ahead at the Iowa Model United Nations spring conference.

Model UN is a student organization that models itself after the actual United Nations. The club members get assigned countries, specific problems, and committees. Then they sort out potential resolutions while working on their own diplomacy.

“There are several different committees students are assigned to, and each of those committees, whether they are the legal, cultural, or humanitarian committees, are actually present in the actual United Nations and get assigned specific issues or problems to work through,” said club advisor Jenna Eastman. 

Model UN meets every Monday, before and after school, at 8:20 a.m. and 4:10 p.m. in room 2305. Model UN is currently in the process of developing their teams and getting ready for the annual University of Northern Iowa Model United Nations conference, where they work to compete for many different awards for speaking at the conference and their papers written before.

I think the best part, really, is the conference. Obviously, there’s a lot of prep work and making position papers and resolutions, but it’s all worth it once we get on that bus. We get to meet with other students from Iowa and debate present issues that are affecting us and all different countries, which is super important. It’s also a great opportunity to connect with representatives of the UN. All around, it’s just a super fun and collaborative event, and I’d recommend it to anyone,” Model UN club member Amal Eltayib ‘26 said.