ADVICE COLUMN: Words of Wisdom

Little Hawk Editor Wisdom Konu ’24 gives love advice
Wisdom Konu

There is somebody I want to ask out to Prom but I’m just too scared. How do I ask them without embarrassing myself? What is your advice?

Don’t do it! Joking! Well, what I like to say is that things aren’t embarrassing unless you make them embarrassing. As for me, I’d love a cute little promposal! This is my dream promposal: they’re playing my favorite song, they get their friends to be backup dancers and they’re performing for me, and they have a Hello Kitty Pink Bouquet for me and then ask me and their friends come out with a poster, saying, “Will you go to prom with me?” and I’m like, “Yes!” That wasn’t really answering the question but to ask it without embarrassing is to figure out if they have a date or not and ask! Your friends could ask them for you and then if they don’t have a date, find the courage and then ask them out! If you already are comfortable with them, ask directly! Be brave and have courage!

I have a friend who is antisocial and likes to stay at home all day. How do I get this friend to go to prom? I’m afraid he’s going to end up living in his parent’s basement. What is your advice? 

Tell them to live life in the moment! Try to remind them that with friends, prom can be fun. It’s fun to have fun! 

There is a girl I like in my math class. I’ve never spoken to her before. How can I get her to pay attention to me? What is your advice?

This is what you have to do: if there’s a girl in your math class and you have a crush on her, you have to do little things to interact with her. Ask to borrow her pencil, and if you guys sit close to each other you can ask her, “Do you understand this problem?” Even if you fully understand the problem! The main objective is to talk to her. “Do you know how to do this part?” and then you get to work together. So once you start having those little tiny interactions, you can get to be sort-of friends. At that point, you can say “Hi” and “How is your day going?” and “That last test was hard as freak.” Then when you interact more in class, you can become friends outside of class, so when you see each other in the hallway, you’ll say hi! Focus on little tiny interactions that can grow into a blooming friendship and then a blossoming romance! 

What are some fun things to do when you’re single on Valentine’s Day?

Well, Valentine’s Day can be for friends and family too! Love isn’t just romantic love, it can be platonic love, familial love. So for Valentine’s Day, what I’ve done in the past, is that I would create little cute gifts like origami hearts and pair them with little goodie-bags with things like chocolate, and give those to friends and family who matter most to me.