Helena Echa
Helena Echa
Reporter

Group of City Runners Put on Second Annual Wendy’s 4 by 4

The podium of the top three runners in the Wendy’s 4 by 4. Photo courtesy of George Karr

About 20 City High runners took off running down the track with their mouths full of food– the signature Wendy’s 4 for 4 meal. This was part of an event organized by a group of juniors as a way to have some fun while the weather was good enough before the track season started.

“The Wendy’s 4 by 4 is a running challenge where you eat Wendy’s and run a mile. You run a 400 every time you eat. You have to eat chicken nuggets, some really bad fries, a burger, and then chug a Sprite before running your last lap to the finish,” George Karr ‘25, a City High runner, said.

Karr ran the race this year as one of many who had to endure the challenge of running with fresh Wendy’s in their stomachs. Resilience was the key to this, but occasionally, the challenge represented a little bit more.

“[This year] I finished and I was not in dead last,” Nina Kuhlmann ‘25, an enthused City runner, said. “I did not throw up during the four-by-four, and I think it was really a moving moment for me. This four-by-four really changed my perspective on myself.”

With track right around the corner, this was a way to unofficially start the season off and get everyone back out running. For some, it was even an event that shaped worldviews.

“I think now I don’t know what everybody else is going through. Maybe they ran after they had an entire Taco Bell Crunchwrap. Maybe their dog died,” said Kuhlmann. “And this has really put into perspective that everybody is going through different things and that it is just so important to approach every day and every person with an equal perspective.”