Dominic Roe
Dominic Roe
Reporter

Boys Soccer Opens with Home Scrimmage Versus West Liberty

Jack Rogers
Joel Eckhardt ’24 prepares for a goal kick in the team’s regular season matchup against Linn-Mar

The City High Men’s Soccer team will start off the season with a scrimmage against West Liberty at home on Friday, March 22nd at 4:30 PM. The next day they will play Regina again at home at 2:00 PM. This year’s team has a significant amount of new faces with a lot of seniors graduating from last year’s team. The new team captains will be Joel Eckhardt ‘24, Jackson Nichols-Lindsey ‘25, and Jack Dancer ‘25. 

“Even though it’s just a scrimmage I think it’s crucial to start off the season strong. We are a very young team but I think we have the potential to be a pretty solid team. We have a few new additions but we still plan on treating this scrimmage just like a regular game,” Nichols-Lindsey said.

Last year the Little Hawks scored a total of 20 goals as a team and 10 assists while holding a record of 8-7. The Little Hawks ended their season last year in a close second round playoff loss to Cedar Rapids Kennedy to get to State. The returning goal leader from last year’s team is Josh Borger-Germann ‘25 and the returning assist leader from last year is Nichols-Lindsey. Another big returning player is goalkeeper Ben Borger-Germann ‘26. Ben Borger-Germann started as a freshman and put up 36 saves on the season on 73.5 save percentage.

“I think we have the biggest room for improvement in the attacking half of the field. We have some new players this year and I am excited to see what they can contribute to the team to help us be successful,” Dancer  said.