Jack Rogers
Jack Rogers
Sports Co-Editor

Good Friday to Join ICCSD Holiday Calendar Next Year

Rosangel Flores-Rubio
Mrs. McTaggart holds her rosary

Good Friday is a Catholic holiday observed during the Holy Week, two days before Easter. 

“We strongly believe that our Lord died for us in order for God to forgive our sins. We use the Holy Week to commemorate what Christ did for us by abstaining from eating meat on Fridays, attending church and other special events like the Stations of the Cross. The Stations of the Cross walks us through what Jesus Christ endured before he gave his life for us,” teacher Mrs. McTaggart said.

Good Friday is the day people observe the crucifixion of Jesus Christ. Although this is a Catholic holiday, it is celebrated by many different branches of Christianity.

“I grew up Catholic and my parents instilled the beliefs and values of being born Catholic, and with this religion we acknowledge the death and crucifixion of our Lord, Jesus Christ,” McTaggart said.

Despite the cultural significance, the day had not been taken off the school calendar. Thanks to Mrs. McTaggart, next year will be the first year where students will be able to take the school day off for Good Friday.

“If the Iowa City School District has added other religious holidays, then the district needs to honor the Catholic religion as well. I spoke with Mr. Degner, our Superintendent, and the school committee has added it to next year’s calendar [of days off],” McTaggart said.