Sam Kueter
Sam Kueter
Reporter

Prom 2024: What to Know

As 2024 Prom approaches, here’s what every Little Hawk should know
Wisdom Konu
Prom 2024’s tickets

Prom preparations are in full swing this year, with the event set to take place on May 4th at The Graduate Hotel from 7:00pm – 10:00pm. The theme for this year has been decided as Masquerade Ball which is described as sophisticated and elegant with a hint of mystique.  

Every year, student senate plans the event and decorates the venue. After narrowing down three themes (Masquerade Ball, Across the Stars, and 1920’s New York), a Google Form was sent out for City High students to vote and Masquerade Ball won the majority.

“I’m most excited to see everybody dress up, have fun, and dance in the room that we decorated,” Wisdom Konu ‘24, the Secretary of Student Senate, said.

Typically, the dance is only available to Juniors and Seniors with underclassmen only allowed as dates. This year there will be stricter measures taken to ensure that all underclassmen that attend actually have a date that they’re going with. A guest form will have to be filled out for both students invited from other schools and underclassmen. This form can be found online or in the office and will need to be approved by administration. 

“I think that the policy being implemented is one for future events,” Konu said. “Hopefully it will make it so we can make sure that underclassmen coming to prom are actually going with upperclassmen.”

After the dance, students can head back to the old gym at City High to participate in Party After Prom. The event begins at 10:30 PM, and is made to be a free event in which students can play games, enter into raffles, and enjoy food.

Students can expect a free event in a relaxed environment,” Jaime Kurtz, one of the Chairpeople of the Party After Prom Committee, said. “Have fun with friends playing games in the Old Gym, win prizes at the Casino games, play Bingo for a chance to win $20, a Characterist, Money Grab filled with $750, a sweet treat walk, a popcorn bar, and food.”

Party After Prom is planned by a group of Junior/Senior parents. To prepare, the committee has been asking businesses in the area for monetary and prize donations, securing games, entertainment, and more.

“The committee is super excited for what we have been able to accomplish with generous community support,” Kurtz said.

This year, the committee has been working hard to ensure that every student that attends the event will be able to leave with at least one prize.

“[The event] is free, safe, and we hope people have a fun time with friends celebrating the close of another school year,” Kurtz said.