Ahmed Basheir
Ahmed Basheir
Sports Co-Editor

Girls Tennis Individual and Team Districts Recap

Liz Degner
Eviann Smith ’24 returns the serve against Western Dubuque

Sydney Geisen ‘26 tosses the ball above her head, winding her racquet and making contact with the racket’s center. The ball smacks across the court right into the corner, acing her opponent, and breaking the tie in a match against West High rivals securing the doubles win, and simultaneously, a seed at districts.

“We have a very deep lineup of players that really want to play and want to get better and that can get excited about playing next year. So I love that. And if there’s if there’s somebody that’s not away, we have a lot of players who love to play and get in and are competent and capable,” Head Coach Dominic Audia said.

On Monday, May 6th City High attended individual singles/doubles class 4A districts at Iowa City West tennis courts, playing two singles players Eviann Smith ‘24 and Millie Wolfe ‘25, as well as two doubles teams Janie Owens ‘25 and Greta Hayek ‘25 and Sydney Geisen ‘26 and Hattie Conover ‘25.

“I was happy with everybody’s performance. I think everybody played the game 100%, played competitively, and nobody got hurt,” Audia said.

Position #1 and #2 Millie Wolfe ‘25 and Eviann Smith ‘24 represented the team for singles. Wolfe was the #4 seed getting a bye in the first round and placing 4th overall. At the doubles level, Greta Hayek and Janie Owens played the first round against Cedar Rapids Jefferson, winning the match and advancing to the second round to lose in a close match against Burlington. 

“The seedings matched up very well with the outcomes. Our 4th seed doubles team ended in 4th place and our 4th seed singles player ended up in 4th place,” Audia said.

Sydney Geisen ‘26 and Hattie Conover ‘25 secured the 4th seed starting in the second round against Iowa City West’s Delmira Jara ‘24 and Elsie Gross ‘27 for a rematch. Geisen and Conover won in a tiebreaker. The doubles team then lost the second round in a tough match against Marion and placed 4th place overall at districts.

Round 1 of team districts was at 9 am at the City High tennis courts on Friday against Muscatine High School. The team secured the win with a mercy rule after winning 5 singles matches even though the team was lacking their #6 player Janie Owens ‘25.

“Kate Meis [‘25] stepped in against Muscatine and I would describe her as a clutch player. She’s had some clutch wins per se this season where she has stepped in and just won. And that’s exactly what she did today,” Audia said. 

Round two of team districts was held on Tuesday, May 14th at HTRC against Waterloo West, the match ended with Waterloo West winning with a 2-5 score ending the Little Hawks’ season.