What is Up with “Gangnam Style?”

Here’s PSY’s “Gangnam Style” if you haven’t seen it already.

I get it, people like weird things. See Nyan Cat, Nigel Thornberry, or Cows, Cows, Cows for reference. PSY’s music video “Gangnam Style” is the latest video to join the list of weird viral videos, and is close to if not the quickest growing of them all. Released on July 15 to YouTube, it racked up seven million views in just two days and is now at 46.5 million views. The song topped at #1 on the billboards for both South Korean Singles, and the U.S.’s top 100 K-Pop boards. I didn’t even know that existed. As if that wasn’t enough, the song was featured on the korean show Music Bank, winning the competition with 18,601 points (whatever that means).

Praise for the song is usually positive and references its comedic value. CNN described it as “very catchy and comedic.” CBC said the song is “insanely catchy” and “wacky.” YouTube users also never hesitate to spurt the first thing that pops into their head (unfortunately). User Sara Park writes “they seriously need to have a flash mob of this in time square!! hahahha omg this is hilarious” Fillipa1122 commented “I almost forgot to watch this today.” MTVBOY100 even went so far as to say “Every time I hear this song I get a Gangnamgasm.”

So what makes this video and song so attractive? Is it that it’s another catchy K-Pop hit? When I say catchy, I mean catchy. It does not leave your head. Too many times I have lied in bed tapping my foot to this song. Is it the crazy “horse-riding” dance? Admittedly, it’s kinda fun. Or is it that guy hip thrusting over the singer in the elevator? Yep, definitely that.

Hang on, stop. Whilst writing this column, I opened the song to look at the YouTube comments. I’m now writing this the next day and the view count is at 50 million. That’s a lot of gangnamgasms in one day.

Honestly, though. The band has a whopping (sarcasm) 192,238 subscribers, so how could it gain seven million views in just two days? What do you think? When did you first see the Gangnam Style video and what are your thoughts? That comment section needs some love!