Tai Caputo
Tai Caputo
Feature and Opinion Co-Editor

Wizard of Oz comes to City High

Tickets for The Wizard of Oz are available through the Hancher Box Office or an hour before showtime. Tickets still available for all shows.
Thurs/Fri 7:30 p.m.
Saturday 1:00 p.m. and 7:30 p.m.

By Francesca Lubecki-Wilde

Sixty-nine years ago, The Wizard of Oz premiered as America’s first color film. At the time, the movie’s incredible special effects defied popular opinion of what was possible in cinema. Nearly 70 years later, it is appearing at Opstad Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights at 7:30 p.m. with a 1:00 p.m. matinee on Saturday.

This year, City High has faced the challenge of bringing The Wizard of Oz to Opstad, and after a few long nights and a lot of hard work, it seems the Wizard of Oz is finally up and running.

“Last year’s musical went so well,” said Sage Behr, ’12. “We have a lot of pressure to top it.” And, if the musical goes as planned, topping previous musicals is exactly what directors Troy Peters and Doug Lestina have in mind.

“Evita and Almost Maine needed very little technical support,” Lestina said during a pep-talk to cast members during dress rehearsals. “This musical was not a safe choice, but we know we can get it together.”

Among the challenges faced this year is a complicated rigging system enabling the flying monkeys to actually fly, a large supporting cast of “Munchkin” children and the projection of the great Oz’s infamous head. Despite long nights working out technical kinks, the cast is staying incredibly upbeat.

“The acting is going really well,” Shannon Bowling ’10 said.

Bowling, who was cast as the musical’s iconic lead, Dorothy Gale, agrees that it is up to the members of the lead cast to keep the incredibly large supporting cast motivated.

“There is a trickle-down affect,” Bowling explained. “If we stay positive, then so will everyone else.”

“If this goes well it will be epic,” said Calvary Tutson, ’13.

Tickets for The Wizard of Oz are on sale through The Hancher Box Office, which can be reached by calling (319) 335-1160 or by visiting www.hancher.uiowa.edu.

Leads Shannon Bowling '10 (Dorothy), Andrew Wilkes '10 (Scarecrow), and Tareq Abuissa '10 (Tin Man), perform during a student preview of the show on Wednesday afternoon.