Helena Echa
Helena Echa
Reporter

Not your average prom date

By Margaret Yapp

Bryan & Francesca

As a single guy, when prom season rolls around your palms start to sweat a little more, your voice cracks somewhat frequently and you just feel on the edge junior, Bryan Martin described.

“Since I’m a lone wolf, I had to pick a date that was really chill,” Martin explained, “So when I set out to find a date I first thought of the many activities I’m involved in.”

After scouring jazz band, youth group, musical pit and Ambassadors Martin had finally made his choice.
“Francesca was the obvious choice,” Martin explained with a cheeky grin, “She’s the total package.”

After making his final decision Martin decided it was time to pounce.

“Well if I’ve learned anything from my girl friends,” Martin said, “It’s that you can’t just say ‘prom?’ and get it over with.”

“I’m a witty guy,” Martin said with a coy smile, “So I created a master plan entitled Threat Level: Midnight and put things into action.”

Martin knew exactly where Francesca would be on the fateful evening of March 11th, youth group. “I waited until prayer time and asked if I could close,” Martin said with a mischievous smirk, “Then I made my move and prayed, in front of everyone, that Francesca would go to prom with me.”

“I was kind of in shock for a minute,” Sophomore Francesca Crutchfield said, “And then I said ‘Yes, I will go to prom with you Bryan.” The event was even caught on camera to relive for years to come.

Crutchfield explained the benefits of her prom date, “At first we both thought going in sweatpants and converse was a good idea… the mothers weren’t so keen on that.”

“I always have fun when I’m around him and we’re good friends,” said Crutchfield, both agree that sense of humor is key when picking the ideal prom date.

Graham & Mackenzie

Not all relationships need an official “asking” to prom.  For Graham Klemme ’10 and Mackenzie Sheehy ’10 it just came up in conversation.

“I just asked her where she wanted to eat,” says Graham.  But Graham and Mackenzie are not the typical City High couple, because Mackenzie goes to Kennedy High School in Cedar Rapids.  But despite living in different cities, the couple maintains an optimistic attitude.

“Overall it’s been a good thing with us,” says Graham.   “It’s allowed us to know each other at a solely personal level.”

“I wouldn’t have it any other way,” adds Mackenzie, “and realistically we’re not that far apart.”