Show Choirs to Perform Dollars for Scholars Charity Event

Valerie Soemadi

4th Ave singing their ballad at last year’s Dollars for Scholars

Sy Butler, Reporter

City High and West show choirs will share the stage tonight in Opstad for the Dollars for Scholars charity concert. Dollars for Scholars is a fundraising event for Iowa City high school students, awarding scholarships to students for postsecondary enrollment. Zak Kenyon, ‘16, a four-year show choir member, is excited to perform in the event for his last time.

“It’s important because it’s only time that both schools in Iowa City are able to fully perform for each other,” Kenyon said.

Dollars for Scholars an Iowa City schools tradition where West and City High sing and dance, performing their full shows. The two schools performed together earlier in the school year at West High for Works in Progress, but this is the first and only time the choirs will perform their full shows together. Jake Parker, ‘16, the drumset player in the combo, is equally excited for the event and is looking forward to competition season which kicks off this Saturday at Prairie.

“I think we have a really good show this year. I like our chances, as a group and as a combo.” Parker said. “I think the songs we have really show off the combo’s strengths a lot, and the group’s. I think we have a good shot this year.”

Showtime, West High’s prep group, will begin performing at 7:30, followed by City Lights, Good Time, and 4th Avenue Jazz Co.