Ambassadors Prepare for Third Annual Dance Marathon

Proceeds from the dance will be donated to children undergoing pediatric cancer treatment.

Jonathan House '17 is lifted up by students during last year's City High Dance Marathon.

Innes Hicsasmaz

Innes Hicsasmaz

Innes Hicsasmaz

Lucia Wagner, Executive Web Editor

City High’s third annual Dance Marathon is quickly approaching. The dance will be held on Saturday, January 21st from 7:00 to 11:00 p.m. in the cafeteria. The theme for this year is “The 80’s.” City High Dance Marathon Co-President Molly Liu ’17 stated she had been thinking of themes since August and wanted to pick a theme that would be different from previous years.

“We picked it because the 80’s theme is easy to decorate for and would still allow people to dress casually,” Liu said.

Dance Marathon is made possible by the Ambassadors Program. This year, City High Dance Marathon Co-Presidents Liu and Mae McDonough ’17, as well as Vice-President Cole Milder ‘18, are in charge of organizing the event.

“I have always heard from friends about how great Dance Marathon is and since City High’s Dance Marathon was relatively new, I saw an opportunity to get involved with the organization,” Liu said. “I’ve also volunteered for the Children’s Hospital before, and I thought Dance Marathon would be a super cool way to help out even more.”

Tickets to the dance will be sold this week during lunch, after school, and in the Attendance Office for $5. Students may also purchase tickets at the dance for $7.

“I hope Dance Marathon will be attended by the same amount of students that come to the other dances City High hosts,” McDonough said.

Students are encouraged to wear “casual dress” instead of the usual formal attire that is common at other school dances.

“I think the casual dress will make students feel more welcome,” McDonough said. “Students don’t feel like they have to put a lot of effort into attending or feel pressured to purchase an expensive dress.”

All proceeds from Dance Marathon benefit children undergoing cancer treatment and their families at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. U.S. News & World Report ranks the University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital as one of the country’s best children’s hospitals for pediatric cancer

“I hope everybody attends the dance,” McDonough said. “It is going to be a fun night, and all proceeds are going toward a good and charitable cause.”

About the Writer
Lucia Wagner, Reporter

Regina Regal and professional sleuth Lucy Wagner has slithered her way into the hallways of City High. Somehow, Wagner has also found her way into the...