59th Year of NHS Announced

The National Honor Society recipients are being awarded for their scholastic achievements Monday, the 23rd at Opstad Auditorium.

LH Staff

Art by Estie Dillard.

Courtney Hoang, Reporter

Scholarship, leadership, service, and character.

These are the four basic qualities one must posses in order to be selected for membership into the National Honor Society, an organization for academic achievement and excellence.

Since 1958, City High has been recognizing juniors and seniors for their demonstration of hard academic work and quality of character. Students who meet the most common requirement of a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or higher will eligible for membership.

Other requirements include completion of three years of Language Arts, Math, and Science, and completion of two years of a World Language, both by the end of their junior year. Minimal disciplinary actions within the school and/or community are also considered.

“Students selected for the program received a letter in the mail for their recognition,” Linda Hoel, the National Honor Society Adviser, said, “In addition, those selected must accept the invitation for induction.”

2017 will mark the 59th year that City High will be recognizing its students.

On January 23rd, 2017 at 7:00pm, the ceremony will be held at City High’s Opstad Auditorium, where parents and faculty members are welcomed to recognized the students as they walk across the stage to receive their certificate and membership card.

After the ceremony, a reception with various treats will be held in the lunchroom for the students and their families and friends to celebrate.

“We have about 120 students this year that will be introduced by a speech from our principal, Mr. John Bacon, and will be followed by music and fun,” Hoel said.

For more information, please contact the main office: (319)-688-1049 or the guidance office (319)-688-1047.