Nate Wieland Commits to Play Football at the University of Iowa

After initially committing to Northern Illinois, Nate Wieland ’17 announced his commitment to the University of Iowa for football.

Mary Olesburg

Nate Wieland ’17 (#15), Naeem Smith ’17 (#20), Joey Schnoebelen ’17 (#58), and Brock Hunger ’17 (#1) chat on the sidelines before the game.

Jonathan House, Sports Editor

After originally committing to Northern Illinois in June and then decommitting on Sunday, City High quarterback Nate Wieland ’17 announced via Twitter on Monday afternoon that he has accepted a scholarship offer to play football at the University of Iowa this fall. Wieland is the first City High football player to do so since AJ Derby ’10 did so before eventually moving on to the University of Arkansas. Wieland said that it was too good of an opportunity to pass up after getting a scholarship offer from the Hawkeyes last week.

“Just being a hometown kid it’s hard to leave especially all the opportunities that come at a Big Ten school,” Wieland said of his commitment. “It’s a dream come true. I’m looking forward to getting to play at Kinnick and being around all the guys. It’s a really fun class to be around.”

While he was predominantly a quarterback in high school, Wieland is being recruited as an athlete by the Hawkeyes and is expected to play defense, most likely at linebacker.