Yule Ball Fundraising

Michael Menietti, Reporter

Due to inclement weather, the date for this year’s Snowball Dance was changed from December 10th, 2016, to January 15th, 2017. However, due to scheduling conflicts with the DJ, the dance was again rescheduled and is currently going to be on February 10th, from 8:00pm to 11:00pm.

This dance is being organized by City High’s Interact Club, and about 20% of the proceeds from the dance will be going towards Habitat for Humanity–a nonprofit Christian organization that partners with future and current homeowners to build simple and affordable housing for low-income families. There are no specific goals for fundraising, but the organizers hope that a lot of people will come so they can raise as much money as possible. Any tickets that have been previously purchased for the dance will still be valid.

“Initially, Interact Club wanted to have a separate dance to raise funds for Habitat for Humanity, but we felt it would be better to use a percentage of the Yule Ball tickets instead,” said Student Body President Lucia Wagner ‘17. “We would raise more money that way for the organization.”

The theme for the dance this year is “Yule Ball,” which is a winter dance from the book series Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. It was featured in the fifth book of the series, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

“I am very excited for the Snowball,” Ivy Monthei ‘18 said. “The theme is amazing–who doesn’t love Harry Potter? The Yule ball is magical.”