Girls Favored to Return to Wells Fargo

The girls basketball team is determined to win state this season coming back from a 22-2 season that ended in a state quarterfinal loss.

Joseph Cress

Ashley Joens ’18 gets fouled under the hoop by Ottumwa on February 20th.

Christina Hora, Reporter

After finishing 22-2 last season, the City High girls basketball team is hungry for more.

“It was hard losing at the Well in the first game last year,” Iowa State commit Ashley Joens ‘18 said. “We are determined to win it all this year. This is our year.”

The Little Hawks’ rival West High is also favored to return to the well this coming season. The highly anticipated rivalry game between the two schools is on December 11 this year.

“Being a freshman I’m excited for the opportunity to be apart of such an amazing team,” freshman Ayana Lindsey said. “Being so young and never having experienced playing West or not knowing the feeling of qualifying for state or suiting up in Des Moines with an arena of people waiting to see you play is the best motivation any player could ask for.”

Ending their season earlier than they expected in the quarterfinal game 48-46 to Cedar Falls last season, the Little Hawks are determined to make another appearance at Wells Fargo. City High will have three returning starters (Ashley Joens ‘18, Rose Nkumu ‘20 and Aubrey Joens ‘20)  for this upcoming season.

“We are back and hungry for a state championship,” Rose Nkumu ‘20 said.“We have a chance this year and I think we all know that if we have the right mindset, this could be our year.”

We are back and hungry for a state championship.

— Rose Nkumu

Ella Cook and Ayana Lindsey are both freshmen to watch for this season. Both have played AAU basketball since they were young and being apart of a strong team isn’t anything new for them.

“It’s been ten years since our last state championship and I’m getting antsy,” head coach Bill McTaggart said. “After losing one of our starters to a preseason injury we aren’t as strong as I thought we’d be this season, but if we adjust accordingly as a team, I feel we have a chance.”

The Little Hawks kick off their season on Nov 28th facing Linn-Mar on their home court.