Student Senate Recap: Goodbye Speeches Leave Assembled Teary

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Copy & Opinion Editor

The Student Senate meeting on Wednesday, May 9 began with President Teagan Roeder ’18 playing “One Last Time” from the musical “Hamilton” and declaring that this would be his last meeting.

The Senate then discussed the prom and prom themes for 2019.

“Prom was lit, my dudes,” Roeder said.

Faculty adviser Judith Dickson mentioned a proposed Star Wars theme for 2019 prom.

“I know it’s a year out, but to coordinate and get reenactors from the 501st Central Garrison [would be great],” Dickson said. “Lightsaber decorations, lightsaber bouquets.”

The Homecoming Court survey has been sent out to students.

“Mr. Bacon will get on over the announcements and tell people to take it, too,” faculty adviser Steve Tygrett said.

The menu for the Senior Picnic was discussed.

“Hy-Vee is going to be the caterer but we’ll do it for less money than last year,” junior class representative Maya Durham ’19 said. “The menu is going to be burgers, veggie burgers, chips, and cookies, but no cakes this year because that was one of our biggest costs.”

Underclassmen volunteered to help run the election, whose date has been moved to account for conflicts.

“[The election] is moved to Monday, May 14,” Tygrett said.

Roeder gave a goodbye speech, offering advice for the future and thanking members of the Senate and the student body.

“Your past…doesn’t define where you’re going,” said Roeder. “It just tells you where you’re going to start.”

Vice President Patrick McMillan ’18 also gave a speech about his time in the Senate.

“I made a lot of friends here, strengthened a lot of friendships here,” McMillan said. “It’s just been really cool to see what we can do and how we can change things.”

Treasurer Gabriel McCormick ’18 thanked the future Senate leaders and members for their worked and looked to the future.

“We’re leaving [City High] in such good hands,” McCormick said. “You think about everybody…that’s been something I’ve been really impressed with.”

The Senate meets every Wednesday morning in room 3311 at 8:15 am. To learn more, contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty adviser, or attend meetings, which are open to all students.