Comedy Comes to Opstad

A peek into what to expect for this years fall play.

Lindy Rublaitus, A&E Editor

At the end of every school year, students who are a part of the City High Drama Department anticipate the announcement of what the next seasons fall play and spring musical will be. For the 2018-19 season, the adults of the department chose to change up things by, instead of having one play, to have 7 plays mashed together into “An Evening of Comedy”.

Mr. Peters, the head director of the drama department, thought that it was time to get more people on stage. Compared to past years, only a small group of actors would be selected for the fall play. This year there is supposed to be an expected 30 students participating in theater this fall. The goal of providing more students with more roles is to expand the department and to bring in a more diverse and large group of students into the theater to build on.

“I hope we draw in our upperclassmen but I think it’s a good opportunity for young ones,” said Mr.Peters. “There’s a lot of roles and some just have one line so I t

“I would guarantee [students who see the show] a good time. It’s going to be a performance that is going to be a lot of fun to watch and be a part of. It’s going to be a riot,”

— Mr. Peters

hink, in that way, We’ll give opportunities to young actors.”

Along with 7 plays and 30+ actors, there will be multiple directors for these shows including Mr.Peters, Mrs.Peters, Ms.Darby, and Mr.Lestina. Stage management positions will be spread out between Kate Murray ‘19 and Lily VanderLinden ‘21 who are both returning technical crew members. This new format is a difficult yet progressive change for the department.

“[These shows range] all the way from bizarre hilarity to touching and pretty emotional scenes especially in the play The Audition and I think it’ll surprise our audience,” said Mr.Peters. “I hope we build an audience through the comedy aspect and get a lot of students in the seats.”

The 7 one acts this year include Rosa’s Eulogy, Ties That Bind, The Audition, Controlling Interest, Heritage, Her-i-tage, & Hair-i-tage, Check, Please, and the Universal Language. The Audition will not only be performing in Opstad but will make an appearance at the 2018 Iowa Thespian Festival.

“I would guarantee [students who see the show] a good time. It’s going to be a performance that is going to be a lot of fun to watch and be a part of. It’s going to be a riot,” said Mr.Peters.

The show performances will be held in Opstad Auditorium on October 26 at 7:30 pm, October 27 at 2:00 pm and 7:30 pm, and October 28 at 2:00 pm.