Student Senate Recap: Clothing Drive and Food Pantry Return

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Copy & Web Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, November 28 began with Vice President Naomi Meurice ’19 introducing two new projects: a clothing drive, which is an annual event, and a food pantry, which was introduced two years ago but has since fallen out of use.

“I’m working on a clothing drive…trying to get people to donate coats, hats, jackets, stuff like that. We’re going to have drop-off boxes in the library and then places for students to grab a coat if they need one,” Meurice said. “Ms. Dickson and I are working on [the food pantry.] We’re going to start with weekend packages, a few different things they can take home.”

The Powderpuff volleyball game has been moved to January.

“It was super hard to get good gym space at a good time, so we’re moving it to January,” Meurice said. “Hopefully it’ll be easier to get the space at a good time.”

Preparations for the winter formal, which will take place on December 8, are underway.

“We have ordered tickets and have posters up all over the school,” President Lottie Gidal ’19 said.

The senate previously made an effort to collect more chaperones for the dance, and this has paid off, said faculty adviser Judith Dickson.

“Maya [Durham ’19] and Zoe [Butler ’19] wrote an email full of emotional appeal and guilt and blame and basically coerced teachers into becoming chaperones,” Dickson said. “We now have 11 chaperones.”

The senate discussed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day and brainstormed some ideas for activities. Then it broke into committees.

The student senate meets every Wednesday at 8:15 am. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty adviser.