Student Senate Recap: Can Drive Landslide and Projects Galore

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, December 5, began with President Lottie Gidal ’20 calling a round of applause for the members of the Can Drive.

“That is at least three times what we had last year,” faculty adviser Steve Tygrett said. “Double the money, three times the goods.”

The senate discussed the winter formal and what remains to be done.

“We need people to buy tickets so that we can have a dance,” Judith Dickson, another faculty adviser, said. “It’s quite possible we will lose money.”

The senate will decorate for the winter formal right after school on Friday, December 7.

Vice President Naomi Meurice ’19 presented to the senate on the Clothing Drive and the Food Pantry.

“We have stuff in the library for the Clothing Drive,” Meurice said. “[The focus is] winter clothing, distributing it back to City High students.”

The Food Pantry will be fueled by a small portion of the food collected at the Can Drive, Meurice said.

“The Food Pantry will be in Thos [Trefz]’s office,” said Dickson. “We need people down there to man it.”

Meurice said that the senate will first focus on students who may not have enough food for weekends and time off school.

“For the weekend, there are 6+ meals that students have to take care of,” Meurice said. “Starting off, we’ll give some weekend packs, a box of pasta and some granola bars, and then we’ll see whether we need to expand.”

The senate discussed Martin Luther King, Jr. Day celebrations.