Student Senate Recap: Winter Formal Profits Procured

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, December 12, began with a discussion of the food pantry and how to stock it.

“It has to be something that student senate does,” Meurice said on partnering with local organization HayCap to stock the pantry. “We have to have more people involved. If we want to do after-school snacks or weekend packages, that’s up to us–just keeping it running.”

The partnership would create a way to get a reliable food supply, but it might not be what City students need.

“They’re saying, ‘We’ll bring by a case of corn,'” Judith Dickson, a faculty adviser, said. “That’s fine, but I don’t see our students walking around with a spoon and a can opener.”

The senate debated options for partnering with HayCap and the pros and cons of doing so. Then it moved on to discussing the winter formal.

“We did make a profit of about $1300,” said President Lottie Gidal ’19. “There were still not as many people as Homecoming and there never [are]. So for next year, we want to ask you about creating incentives to get people to come.”

Some ideas for the dance were to provide food to be purchased and to escalate ticket prices throughout the week they were to be sold.

Faculty adviser Chip Hardesty brought up the Senior Picnic in May, and Gidal announced that the senate will not meet on Wednesday, December 19.

Student senate meetings will resume after winter break. The senate meets every Wednesday at 8:15 in Room 3311.