Student Senate Recap: Wrapping Up Winter Plans

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, March 6, 2019 began with a presentation by faculty advisers Judith Dickson and Melanie Gibbens about the upcoming prom. Prom will be in the main ballroom at the Iowa Memorial Union.

“It’s perfect for 600 people,” Dickson said. “Our plan is to go big and cheap.”

Debate ensued over two different ticket designs and when to begin selling tickets. The senate settled on two weeks before prom.

“We have to choose food. We have approximately $3100 for food,” Dickson said. “We do have to factor in a 20 percent service charge. There is no food minimum. In the past, we’ve done a savory and a sweet. I don’t think we need a savory because you guys will have all eaten.”

The senate selected a variety of finger foods for the prom.

Powderpuff Volleyball will be taking place after school today, March 6, at 6:30 pm. Every team will bring $20 for the food pantry, which will be stocked with food packs after a shopping trip to Costco by Dickson and a few senate members.

“Update: moon cheese is awful,” Vice President Naomi Meurice ’19 said. “We got mac and cheese, some soup, some applesauce, potatoes, and stuff like that. [The food pantry] is going to be in the SAC [Room 1113] on Fridays before school, after school, and during advisory. For the weekend pack, it’s a box of pasta, a can of soup or some hashbrowns, and then an apple [or] a fruit cup.”

The senate also discussed the senior picnic. Outdoor movie night is tentatively being planned for the Friday before the senior picnic.

Xeniphilius Tyne ’20 made a point about the inclusiveness of the Homecoming court.

“In regards to the Homecoming court…I feel like because both other schools in the district are doing it a certain way, we shouldn’t be still doing it in the way we have been in previous years,” Tyne said. “Everyone at West and Liberty…are really happy about the situation that’s happened there. According to the student senate adviser and the GSA adviser there, it was all around a lot better received than previous Homecomings.”

The senate meets every Wednesday at 8:10 in Room 3311. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact Steve Tygrett, the primary faculty adviser.