Student Senate Recap: Speech Date Narrowed Down

Olivia Lusala

Invested in the workings of City High’s very own bureaucracy? You’ve come to the right place.

Mira Bohannan Kumar, Web & Copy Editor

The student senate meeting on Wednesday, April 24, began with a prom update.

“They have to flip the venue, because there’s a fault line in the middle [of the room],” faculty adviser Judith Dickson said. “I got an emergency email last night that due to the fault line, the room will be rotated.”

The senate has been selling tickets for about one week. The sales are in the main foyer and no tickets will be sold at the door.

“We have sold about 20 tickets,” President Lottie Gidal said.

The senate will set up for the dance the day of.

“Shall we say 10:00?” Dickson asked. “I think if we have enough people it’ll only take about 45 minutes.”

Faculty adviser Steve Tygrett presented on the speeches for class president and vice president elections.

“I’ve talked to Mr. Lestina about this,” Tygrett said. “The hope is we get either the 20 or the 21 [of May]. We’ve decided on the electronic voting…that’ll also take care of absentees, if we opened it at noon and had it close at three [o’clock].”

The senate once again discussed the senior picnic and ways to give vouchers to students on free and reduced lunch.

“I think we just want to hear from [teachers] one way or another, whether you want to say yes to this or you want to say no to this,” Gidal said.

Tygrett, Dickson, and Melanie Gibbens, another faculty adviser, have also had concerns about the logistics of the food trucks.

“I like it. I think it’s a good idea. It’s the end of the year, and you guys have a lot of stuff going on,” Tygrett said. “If I’m being honest, my preference is to do Hy-Vee…because it’s a known quantity…it’ll be paid for. I like the food truck idea, especially if we do the vouchers, but I think it’ll be logistically difficult.”

The senate meets every Wednesday at 8:10 in Room 3311. To learn more, attend meetings, which are open to all students, or contact one of the faculty advisers: Judith Dickson, Melanie Gibbens, Chip Hardesty, or Steve Tygrett.