City High’s Biennial Veterans Day Concert

Yardley Whaylen, Reporter

Opstad sang with gratitude and enthusiasm as all four City High choirs, along with Southeast Junior High choir students, had their biennial Veterans Day Concert. The stage was cramped with students as they all opened the concert together, singing “America the Beautiful” in harmony. The auditorium was filled with City High and South East Junior High families, all honoring those who served in their community.

“This is always my favorite concert of the year. My dad served in the Air Force, and it is such a special time to reflect on his time there and honor his, along with many others’, sacrifice,” Lauren Rude ‘20 shared. 

Each choir sang a set of two to three songs, all about wartime, veterans who have passed, and the citizens who have been lost to endless war. Highlights of the night included Little Hawk Singers’ “Me and Paul Revere” by Steve Martin with soloists Jared Moniger and Ben Faden, Advanced Women’s Ensemble’s “Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy” by Don Raye and Hughie Price, and Concert Choir’s “The Dying Soldier” by Nigel Short, with soloist Ty Wellons ‘20.

As is tradition, the concert was completed with the singing of “Salute to the Armed Forces,” when veterans in the auditorium stand to be honored as their branch’s song is sung. The choir smoothly transitioned from “Salute to the Armed Forces” into “Battle Hymn of the Republic,” the choir’s favorite song of the year. 

“I thought it was a very successful night; all the choirs sang very well. It was a joy to have the South East Junior High kids with us, and overall a wonderful evening of music to honor those who have given their lives for our country and to give back to our community that gives so much. It’s so special to do something like this,” said City choir director Tyler Hagy.

Hagy, along with his choir students, are extremely energized for the year ahead of them and already eager for their next concert.