LH Album Review: GUTS

Olivia Rodrigo’s long-awaited “GUTS” is finally here, and she did not hold back.
Wisdom Konu

From Disney channel actress to pop and indie rock superstar, Olivia Rodrigo never fails to amaze with her relatable lyrics and catchy songs. Released on September 8th, 2023, GUTS is Rodrigo’s debut in indie rock following her iconic album SOUR, and the soundtrack proves her ability as an artist to make honest music in any genre she tries. 

First tracks can make or break an album, and Rodrigo started out strong with “all american b****” an intense and captivating rock-themed song. While the strong use of instruments can feel overwhelming at some points, she never fails to keep her listeners engaged and singing along due to the incredibly candid lyricism. Grasping her audience with “i’m as light as a feather i’m as stiff as a board,” the classic reciting of our childhood entanglements with ghosts. The subtle connections between the title and her word choice (i.e. “just like a godda*n kennedy,” and “i’m the eternal optimist”) start the album on the right track.

Many listeners recognized the middle of the soundtrack, with previously released singles “bad idea right?” and “vampire” added to the strong foundation. Songs like “lacy” step back into her original era defined as “bedroom pop” with their soft lyrics and instrumental intros. Each of her songs set the next in motion with their simplistic transitions, connecting the album like glue. Whether it’s found within the guitar synchronization between the end of “ballad of a homeschooled girl” and the start of “making the bed,” or if it’s a simple connection back to lyrics, Olivia Rodrigo’s music pulls listeners through a bumpy yet unforgettable journey. 

Rodrigo’s experimental mentality can be seen throughout the album, its vibrant dimension over many sub-genres makes every song likable in their own ways. In various respects it can be linked to her acknowledged idols, icons like Taylor Swift, and yet even with these inspirations she has made a voice of her own. A personal favorite song on the album “the grudge,” appears like it could be just another teenage heartbreak song, but she manages to share her experiences so vividly that listeners can feel what she feels.

Furthering her dynamic relatability, Rodrigo named her tracks after what someone would see within texts between teenagers. Messages I know I have sent myself, phrases like “get him back!” and “love is embarrassing,” which not only connect listeners to the songs but to Rodrigo herself. Olivia Rodrigo ended GUTS with the perfect description of itself, it really is a “teenage dream.”