LH Album Review: Get Up

K-Pop girl group, NewJeans showcases even more of their unique colors through their most recent EP, Get Up
Wisdom Konu

HYBE x ADOR girl group, NewJeans, has taken the K-Pop world by storm with their unique concepts and execution as a group. Fans have awaited NewJeans’ second EP album as ever since their first EP album, the group has been releasing singles. OMG was the group’s last single and since then, they’ve finally released their second EP, Get Up, on July 21st, 2023. 

Get Up begins with New Jeans, a UK garage inspired beat that is a chill track that contains simple yet repetitive lyrics. The music video was a collaboration between The Powerpuff Girls and NewJeans and while the video was unique, the track is not necessarily something special. Their other track, ASAP, is the same thing. Repetitive and simple with a good beat behind it but nothing special.

Super Shy is another UK garage inspired track that proves to be addictive with its percussion and bassline. Jersey club rhythms and breakbeats are also prominent within the song as well, appealing to multiple groups of people with the song trending across multiple mediums like social media apps TikTok and Instagram. Non-Kpop listeners as well as celebrities have shared their addiction to the track across those apps.

ETA is an experimental song from the R&B group with its loud and lively instrumental. The song’s lyrics contain a warning from the 5 girls to their friend about her cheating boyfriend, making the lyrics perfect for the upbeat catchy song. 

Cool With You brings back their R&B laidback sound and continues using UK garage beats where their vocals shine the brightest, with the song containing beautifully layered harmonies of the 5 girls. 

Get Up, the title track, is the shortest track in the EP. It’s a dreamy R&B interlude, and is a teaser of the group’s upcoming music, as specified by the members. 

Get Up is a short but sweet album, full of addictive tracks, doing its job showcasing that NewJeans is here to stay.