Our Spooky Horror Movie Recommendations

Halloween. Spooky, festive, and frightening! Here are some horror movie recommendations to watch for this horrific holiday

Scream (1996) – A classic horror film about a girl trying to survive the attacks of a masked killer on the anniversary of her mother’s death. Being the first and original movie of the Scream franchise, this film definitely holds its ground, starring Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox, and David Arquette.

This movie is a must-watch for me every Halloween. It’s great to watch with friends, and it’s really fun to try to guess the killer. I love the lightheartedness mixed in with the horror elements of this film.

Overall rating: 9/10

Scary rating: 2/5 – its visuals aren’t as realistic, being an older film, but the humor and characters in this movie make up for the lack of scares

Where to watch: Prime Video, Apple TV+, Max and Paramount+

The Ring (2002) – A tape, a well, and a “cursed” girl. When reporter Rachel Keller (Naomi Watts) investigates the mysterious death of her niece, she begins to uncover peculiar happenings.

This is my favorite horror movie of all time. Instead of leaning towards the stereotypes associated with slasher films, this movie follows an actual plot, taking time to explain the specifics surrounding the curse responsible for the teenagers’ deaths. I would 100% recommend this film to any horror-movie lovers.

Overall rating: 10/10

Scary rating: 3/5 – it’s more suspenseful and detailed in comparison to traditional horror movies with jumpscares

Where to watch: Paramount +, Prime Video, Apple TV

The Menu (2022) – A comedy horror film that will leave you wondering whether or not you should be a vegetarian. Margot Mills is invited to an exclusive restaurant by her foodie date, Tyler. Throughout the courses, Margot starts to notice the unsettling manner of chef Julian Slowik, and starts to question whether her being there is a mistake or not. 

Overall rating: 9/10 

Scary rating: 3.5/5 – The Menu is more of a psychological/thriller type movie. This film does an amazing job of being funny and scary at the same time. It is an excellent example of a satire film

Where to watch: Hulu, Prime Video, Apple TV, HBO Max

Carrie (1976) – One of the classic horror films that everyone should watch this Halloween. This story follows Carrie White, a shy teenage girl whose life is controlled by her religious mother. Carrie is a loner and an outcast throughout her school, until suddenly she realizes that she has telekinesis abilities, deciding to use her powers for revenge. 

Overall rating: 8.5/10

Scary rating: 3/5 – This is a more creepy and chilling film in comparison to other classics, but is just as good. This movie is a classic cult horror film, and definitely one to watch when planning a scary movie night. It has been remade a couple times, but, per usual, nothing beats the original

Where to watch: HBO Max, Prime Video