Yomi Hemley
Yomi Hemley
Feature Co-Editor

LH Album Review: Sparkling Blue

New Boy Group, TWS, releases their debut album ‘Sparkling Blue’
Wisdom Konu

TWS, the second boy group under Pledis Entertainment, just debuted with their hit singles Plot Twist and Oh Mymy:7. TWS stands for twenty-four seven with us as their concept is they will always be with their fans, who are called TIME. The album itself consists of 5 songs, and two are considered the singles from the album. 

The first song is Plot Twist, an upbeat pop song about how first encounters never go right. It has a very fresh feel to it but it still stays contemporary. Plot Twist has also made its way onto TikTok with people enjoying the lyrics. On Tik Tok this song has been labeled as one of the best debut songs. The originality of the lyrics and music has really stood out to people. 

If you’re a fan of indie pop this song is definitely for you, Unplugged Boy is an indie pop song. The guitar in the background gives it a very different feel from the rest of the tracks. The song is also entirely in English, when typically it isn’t until a second or third comeback that a group would release a full English version. The post chorus has drawn attention because of how catchy it is: “I’ll be there in no time (I’ll be there in a minute, yeah, eh) / Without saying a word, I’ll be right by your side / Go louder ’til the sunrise (Yeah) / Sounds better when unplugged, keep up the music (Yeah, yeah)”. Plus the sweetness of the lyrics makes it so much more enjoyable to listen to. 

The third song, First Hooky has a much more groovy pop feel to it. The lyrics repeat “I really wanna kick it with you baby”. Once again this is another catchy track they’ve included on the album. This is also a type of song that’s never really been heard from Pledis (TWS’ company) before so it will be exciting to see more.

BFF is the fourth track, switching up the style for a more trap R&B vibe. The progression of this song is just right and it’s a perfect fan song for a debut album. (A fan song is a song dedicated by the group to the fans.) It’s also really cute with the way the chorus ends with the lyric, “you and I’ll be friends forever.” The upbeat but still soft energy makes for the perfect song. 

The last track of the album is called Oh Mymy:7. This song was released before the album came out making it a pre-debut single. This is something a new group will do to draw in attention and show people what talents they have. The song starts off very slow and classical before quickly transitioning into an upbeat techy pop song. It has a catchy chorus, a good mix of rap and lyrical verses that really give this song life. 

Something different about a K-Pop album is that some of the songs have dances along with them. For example, in Plot Twist they include some clock type choreography which looks really cool. Additionally I heard a lot about the Oh Mymy:7 on TikTok because of how the post chorus dance looks. Fans then like to learn the dances and post themselves dancing along. It’s something interesting and extra that an album comes with. Plus, it’s free promotion from the fans and gets people to hear their music more.

Overall TWS has had a very impressive debut, their music has been a hit with fans and people are wanting to hear more. They debuted with a school concept which has been very popular recently with K-Pop groups. The only downfall is that Pledis gained hate for having their slogan be very similar to Enhypen’s, a popular 4th generation K-Pop group under the same company as them. 

But, since TWS is under the same company as Seventeen who is arguably the biggest K-Pop group today going forward, they will gain more attention. Carats (Seventeen’s fandom), have already stated they would like to support TWS after seeing how much Seventeen cares for them. K-Pop fan or not, whether you like pop, indie, or R&b, giving this album a listen would be worth it!