Black Excellence in Business Form

Black Excellence in Business Form

With Black excellence coming in every shape and form, here are some Black student-owned business profiles
Antonio Johnson 24 poses wearing his UNELIMINAL t-shirt.
Antonio Johnson/UNELIMINAL

Can you tell us about your business and what inspired you to start it while still in high school?

When I first started it, it was meant for awareness to kids who felt like they were the words, “damaged” or “messed up.” So when I first started the brand, the original name was Damaged Souls. I made clothes with the contents on them going off of things like that. The motivation to do it while in high school is because I feel like I have more access to people my age, which is the people that wanted to see my clothes. But I just recently changed the name to UNELIMINAL, only because I feel like the name just sounds better.

What products or services does your business offer, and how do you manage it alongside school?

I mostly create outerwear and shirts like shirts, jackets, and pullovers. I also do pants but just clothes in general. When it comes to managing it alongside school, I put my schoolwork first but right after, that’s my next priority. I make sure my schoolwork and performance are right and then I get to working so I can get somewhere with my business.

What challenges have you faced as a young entrepreneur, particularly as a person of color, and how have you overcome them?

With having school, sometimes you lose the motivation for your business. Sometimes you lose motivation for school, depending on how stressful it is. And either way, you have to juggle both. For being of color though, I’ll have my business but I won’t attract the attention of people because they’ll be intimidated.

Where do you get your design inspiration from?

With some shirts, it’ll be some quotes but the remainder are things I get from my head, something I think of. Some of my designs come from what’s inside of me.

Antonio Johnson ’24 poses wearing his UNELIMINAL t-shirt. (Megan Swartzendruber)
Dominique Jackson 24 poses with one of their crotchet bucket hats.
Dominique Blackman/Stitches_By_DeeDee

I have a crocheting business. I make animals, hats, gloves, and bags. When I started my passion of crocheting and other people saw me make things, a lot of people encouraged me to start my own crocheting business and my first client was actually here at City.

What’s your favorite thing you’ve made and why? How do you balance making art with school and other stuff?

My favorite thing I’ve made would be my bucket hats. I like to crochet during class to keep my hands occupied and when I’m at home, instead of scrolling on social media for hours, I just crochet and listen to calming music.

Have you had any problems being a black creative? What do you want to do with your art after high school? Also, what’s the most enjoyable part of running your own business as a high school student?

So far, I haven’t faced any problems with being a black creative. I hope to learn how to grow my business and my creativity. It also makes me really happy when people see my art and tells me it looks really good.

Dominique Jackson ’24 poses with one of their crotchet bucket hats. (Megan Swartzendruber)
Juju Tertulien 24 poses for photo.
Edjounise Tertulien/Platinumstylez_

My business is doing hair. I do like multiple styles like wigs, knotless, etc. What inspired me is [basically] the economy. Things are not cheap at all. So I was [like] “You know what. Let’s make some bread.” I first started learning to do my hair first and then I realized that this is a good way to make money. So, I might as well start practicing on myself and then on others and then I decide to make a page.

What challenges have you faced as a young entrepreneur?

I think the challenge for me, personally, is the physical labor. Standing for hours, it’s really hard because you have to balance that with going to work for eight hours, and then I also have to clean the house, etc. I tried to like exercise to make it work and to get used to it.

Do you plan to continue your business after high school, and if so, how do you envision its growth or evolution?

I’m planning to go to PCI Academy, which is in Iowa City. I plan to go for 2 years, which is about the average to get my license as a hairstylist. I also plan to start a store with my best friend. We have this big vision to have this big store, where she does nails and I do hair and our business would grow to the point where we create more businesses, like a corporation basically.

Juju Tertulien ’24 poses for photo. (Megan Swartzendruber)