More Like ‘Okay and Semi-Weak’: Oz the Great and Powerful Review

OZpic.jpg
The prequel to the classic “The Wizard of Oz” has a lot to offer thanks to the directorial power of Sam Raimi and the awesome performances of both Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. Unfortunately, their efforts are almost useless due to a bland script that needed a lot more heart and the shocking miscasting of two of its major roles.

First we should start with the look of the film, which is to my surprise calm considering the overuse of CGI in today’s films. Sam Raimi gives an old school feel to this film that manages to balance the right tone of epic nostalgia and childlike intimacy with a hint of Raimi’s signature energy. It is visually an enjoyable movie. The character’s looks all represent their personalities and the CGI animated effects for the imaginary characters match the feel and look of the film. From the childlike wonder of China Doll to the scary fanged flying baboon, it is a beautiful, visual affair and that is all thanks to the grace that Sam Raimi and his ability to let the audiences feel their way around this beautiful world.

Unfortunately, while this movie is beautiful to look at, not even Raimi’s efforts are enough to cover over the fact that the movie’s script is as bland as a vanilla wafer and some of the performances are just flat out bad. The story lacks punch and its barely passable as a narrative. The character’s motives are flimsy at best and a hint of irony and complexity could have added a lot more to the film. It is only through the efforts of the movie’s best actors (Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams) that give this film the fun, irony and complexity that the script does not manage to even give itself. Unfortunately, while Weisz and Williams commit more than humanly possible to their perspective roles, both James Franco and Mila Kunis look like they rather not be there are all. The bad part is that both Franco and Kunis are so miscast that it makes you question the mentality of the casting agent who thought that they were good choices for their roles.
This leads me to the acting of this film, which is disjointed to say the least. Personally I’m not a huge fan of Franco. Mainly because in this film like all his other films, he looks like he just does not care about his fellow actors or his performance. He looks like someone who just wants to cash a check and just get by on what little he can do. He lacks charisma, charm and presence in the role of Oscar Diggs and the worst part is that he is the movie’s lead character. Franco’s attitude is well displayed on screen and it hurts the film and you end up wondering why he was even cast in the first place. The same goes to Mila Kunis, who tries a bit harder than Franco on her performance but ends up almost as bad. She just does not have it in her to pull off the role of Theodora, who becomes the Wicked Witch of the West. Her performance on screen shows that she is well aware of that. Therefore, she just gives up half way and leaves both Weisz and Williams to fend for themselves. This is not a bad thing when you think about it because both of them manage to hold the film above water while the script just falls flat, Franco continues to not care about anyone but himself and Kunis just does not bother.

This leads me to the best parts of the movie, which are the performances of Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams. Both should get overtime pay for keeping the film from self-destructing. Both actresses are probably the best we have working today and in this film, it shows. Weisz plays the oldest sister Evanora, who is the villain of the film and let me tell you, she is so much fun that its criminal. Her performance is the best of the film. She gives the character of Evanora such a sassy, fun presence that you do not need Kunis to transform into the Wicked Witch of the west to get a charge, because Weisz does more with less and gets the job done. Her performance keeps the movie afloat and the viewer is more than happy to follow her, which is strange because she is the villain of the film and has more charisma and charm than the hero himself. The second best is Michelle Williams who plays Glinda, the good witch that manages to keep her character from going way too far with the sweetness and have a bit of an edge as well. Williams brings humanity to her performance, the film, and gives a perfect foil to Weisz’s evil Evanora.

If Disney had any sense, a sequel or prequel to this film would have just both Weisz and Williams and leave out Franco and Kunis. You should follow this yellow brick road just to see Sam Raimi give his all to this beautiful world and see just how good actors Rachel Weisz and Michelle Williams are in their roles but this road has potholes (Which are the script and the performances of James Franco and Mila Kunis) that cannot be avoided. Let’s just hope you have good wheels to go around them to get to the good this film has to offer.

Critics Rating(according to Rottentomatoes): 62%
My Rating: 6/10