Liz Degner
Liz Degner
Yearbook

Show Choirs Begin Rehearsals

4th Ave and Charisma seniors pose with their choreographers. Photo courtesy of Avery Provorse.

City High has two Show choirs, Charisma and 4th Avenue. 4th Ave is the varsity group, while Charisma is City’s entry-level, or “prep” group. Charisma has not yet begun learning music but is on track to start soon.

“We are currently reviewing choreography from our camp (in show choir, it’s called “cleaning” the choreography), and getting ready to start music rehearsals,” Mr. Walker, City High’s Charisma director said.

4th Ave is currently preparing for the coming competition season which takes place each winter, beginning in January, and running to the beginning of March. Charisma will attend 4 competitions, and 4th Ave will attend 5 this year. Both show choirs take a lot of time and commitment from students.

“The commitment aspect of the group is about the same as a sport. You are constantly thinking about what you need to improve, how you can help others, and what is going to help you individually. I practice about 9 hours a week with the group, and probably around 5-6 throughout the week on my own,” Grace Kirschling ‘24, a member of 4th Ave said.

Community is a large aspect of City High’s show choirs, they spend a lot of time working together to improve the show and their experiences.

“It’s really amazing to see so many determined people come into the room and work towards one common goal,” Kirschling said.

Walker says that there is no“bench,” like in athletics.

“The students are very supportive of each other, and there’s an understanding that every single member of the group plays an essential part in the success of the group. Everyone participates, and everyone plays an active role in the ensemble,” Walker said.

Students who participate in show choir all take part in something that is larger than themselves.

“The students just naturally enjoy what they do, like getting to sing and dance,” Walker said.“But it’s also the sense of community and camaraderie within the groups.”

Show choir requires a lot of dedication, and commitment. Students not only dedicated a week of their time before school started this year to learn the choreography, but they will also dedicate up to fifteen hours a week, including independent practicing.

“It is so rewarding to see all of the hard work that you have put into show choir pay off. Not only individually, but as a group you’re constantly growing and changing aspects of the show, we always say ‘it’s good to have fun, but it’s fun to be good’,” Kirschling ‘24 said.

Show choir is an opportunity for students to do what they love, and be a part of a community with a common interest and goals.

“There is lots of love in show choir! I’ll enjoy getting to see the students grow and improve as the season goes on,” said Walker.