‘Singin’ in the Rain’ Begins

Esther Puderbaugh
Mara Maas ‘23, Avery Provorse ‘24, and Mary Cate Pugh ‘23 perform as Donna and the Dynamos in last spring’s musical, ‘Mamma Mia’

City High will put on Singin’ in the Rain, a classic musical, this spring. It will feature a full pit of 27 musicians, and large musical numbers.

Singin’ in the Rain will bring in an older crowd, as this was a classic movie and musical that many people in their 60’s and 70’s saw on the big screen or on stage. That will make for a fun generational experience,” Doug Lestina, Technical Director said. 

The Drama Department has done more modern musicals for the past few shows, so this will be one of the first classical musicals in a while. 

“It will be good for the students to see what the more classical style of musical is like,” Lestina said. 

While Cast and Crew meetings have started, rehearsals will not begin until February 5th. A group of adults at City are working to prepare for the spring production, including Director Lauren Darby, Choreographer Betsy Staak, Vocal Director Shelby Zukin, Pit Director Megan Stucky-Swanson, Set Designer Rich Burke, Costume Director Jackie Green, and Makeup Director Michelle Buell.

The cast will also be creating a short film that they will be shooting in advance, and then using in the show. 

“This will make for a technical challenge and give some students the opportunity to work on a film,” said Lestina. 

Singin’ in the Rain comes with other challenges, one being making it rain onstage.

“I always enjoy a good challenge. When we solve all of the issues that come along with it and the audience gasps when the rain comes down, it will all be worth it,” said Lestina.